Sunday, January 17, 2010

solid ground

I went to a friend's 40th bday party last night. To be honest, I didn't feel like going as I was tired from adjusting to my new schedule (waking up at 6am but still not necessarily sleeping early enough to compensate.) Apparently I missed the memo that read that girls were supposed to wear 3 inch heels and short, short skirts. I had to leave after an hour. Maybe I'm getting old, or really, I just feel it isn't my scene. In any case, I'm not complaining but my morning class got picked up and now I definitely have to keep to this schedule or I just won't make it.

I keep thinking of the people in Haiti and how lucky I am to live where I live - with good infrastructure, and a relatively well-run government. I have been through some quakes in BC and California, but cannot imagine what 7.0 would feel like. In my class on Friday, I had asked for the students to send their thoughts to Haiti with this prayer that I had found by Holly Lebowski Rossi. Perhaps when you've got a moment, you'll send your thoughts to Haiti also?

My prayer is for solid ground.

May the earth that crumbled beneath feet and homes and schools once again become solid ground for walking and loving and learning.

May worried families and friends discover their loved ones safely spared waiting for them on solid ground.

May those who are trapped amid the rubble feel the solid power of love and healing that the world is sending their way.

May we who are so far away from the devastation find a way to share some of the solid ground of our full lives with those who have lost so much.

May the solid ground of this simple prayer become a foundation on which Haiti can rebuild.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home