Monday, January 04, 2010

christmas holiday recap

Greetings dear readers - it was a wonderful holiday, thanks for inquiring. Had a chance to catch up with a few friends, get my health taken care of (3 trips to the physio, 3 for dental...), visiting with the relatives and grandparents. It was really a whirlwind trip this time around and almost feels like it was a dream. Did it really happen?

My dad had warned me about heading to the airport early; I was working and then flying out the evening of the 24th - it would be a crazy rush he said. Well, I got there a couple of hours early. There were people, but I waited until the last minute to cross over security. I do this because the terminal on the other side usually doesn't have as many good shops/restaurants as on the "sanitized" side. There were a whopping 5 people in the security line.

Apart from having to wait an hour to be de-iced (it was now snowing), and the fact that my Discovery Channel was just not being picked up by satellite tv, the flight was packed and long. The arrival was even longer as my sister was flying in the same night and my mom had forewarned me that my dad was not making two trips out to pick us up. Guess who got to hang around and wait? I crashed when I got home, having been up for 20 hours.

The weather was gorgeous on Christmas morning and the days that followed: clear blue skies and light dustings of frost on the ground made it the picture-perfect Christmas. Bonus that the air was so clean and moist, compared to all the dryness in Toronto. The weather went downhill about halfway through the trip but by then, I was still blissed out that it wasn't -17 that all was well in my world!

I ate so much food (i.e. meat) in the first two days than I normally do in two months, but how could I resist? My dad cooked for me: scallops, lobsters, shrimp, beef tongue. My uncle made: ox tail braised in red wine, really tasty pork, turkey, chicken. My aunt made her famous turkey pie... I was seriously in food heaven. Several days into the trip, I had to force myself to do a little bit of yoga as I was feeling really quite guilty by this point.

All in all, I'd say a pretty lovely trip but I was glad to come back (short trip - came back to -14 on the 2nd) and have my own space all to myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home