Friday, May 05, 2006

mmm... morton's

I've been having cravings of sushi lately. I'm eagerly anticipating my trip back home whereupon I will gorge myself with seafood but in the meantime, I had to settle for the next best thing: a big honking juicy piece of meat.

My friend and I set up a date to use the Morton's gift certificate from February. We sat down and she requested the menu; our waitress responded by asking whether we'd like to see the menu presentation. We nodded dumbly and watched as she wheeled out on a cart a silver platter with the various cuts of raw meat tightly held down by syran wrap. She went through the menu with the different types and cuts of meat and then went on to the tray of veggies. These were to demonstrate the portion size as they were all a la carte.

I had been thinking of getting the ribeye but my friend and I decided to split the porterhouse instead. The double porterhouse (for two, carved tableside) was a mere $106. The single order of the porterhouse steak was a whopping 24 oz.! and we were sharing that...I could not imagine tackling a 24 oz. steak on my own! Apparently this cut is the most popular as it has both the ribeye and New York strip. I thought I'd like the ribeye more but surprisingly preferred the New York bit. It was probably THE best steak I've ever had both tenderness-wise and flavour-wise. I was completely stuffed. And we had ordered a half dozen malpeque oysters and broiled sea scallops wrapped in bacon with an apricot chutney as appys.

We capped the night off at the rooftop lounge on the 18th floor of the Hyatt where we shivered out on the patio so we could look at the skyline. It was a weird perspective for me. I've gotten used to seeing the city one way but this time I was looking towards the office towers downtown. We had a couple of drinks and headed home, still stuffed to the brim. Time to go on a diet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home