Sunday, January 31, 2010

food for the soul

With all that's been going on in Haiti, I can only be grateful that I live in Canada and have the opportunity to help where I can. I had already donated to the Red Cross last week, but the radio station was running a contest for tickets to see Jann Arden. She was performing at Massey Hall for 4 days. On Thursday morning, they said that the first 100 people to email into the station would get a pair of tickets for Friday's show. I missed the email address and by that time they said they had already reached number 60. I also figured that since I was meeting a friend for dinner after class that it wouldn't really work so I left it.

They ran the same contest on Friday morning. They said that they were going to announce it close to 9am, which would have been too late for me since I would have had to head to work. So I shut down the computer and was ready to put on my shoes when they announced the contest. Same deal. So I quickly flicked on the computer and waited for it to do the whole rebooting thing while I watched the minutes tick by. Fortunately, I also knew that people had to be available to pick up the tickets the same day because they weren't open on Saturday (day of show). I sent the email in and headed to work, crossing my fingers for the best.

I got in... so I headed over to the radio station during lunch to make my cash donation (for Haiti - that was the requirement) and picked up the tickets. I will confess that I have never been more excited in my life. The last concert I'd been to was well over 2 years ago, and I LOVE Jann Arden so I was psyched. I was going to Winterlicious with a friend and invited her along to the concert. It was fantastic...such soul-stirring music, and she threw in all these comedic parts. A true performer, and a genuinely nice person. Set list included below for posterity's sake, including songs from her latest album! A wonderful relaxing weekend compared to the past weekend where I'd been daytripping to Niagara for the ice wine festival, and the previous weekend to Don Mills. It was refreshing for my spirit... I need more weekends like this! :)

Free
Looking For It (Finding Heaven)
Where No One Knows Me
Could I Be Your Girl
The Devil Won
Sleepless
At Seventeen
Insensitive
I Would Die For You
Leave Me Now
Yeah You
Wishing That
A Million Miles Away
Everything's Broken
I Want to Take You Higher
Unloved
Daughter Down
Good Mother

Encore:

In the Fire
Total Eclipse of the Heart
To Sir With Love
You Shook Me All Night Long
All the Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home