Monday, May 15, 2006

keeping house...in the middle of the night

I was jolted out of slumber last night around 2:10am. I know what time it was because I checked. I heard a slamming of the doors and thought someone must have had an argument and was mad. But then a short while later, another slam. And another. And another. I thought, what the hell?? I rolled out of bed and ran to my door, thinking maybe in this crazy city that there was an altercation going on. I half expected security to be up here. I opened the door and poked my head out. Nothing. So I went back to bed. And a short while later, yet another slamming of the doors. This time, I caught my neighbour, two doors down, walking into her apartment. She hadn't seen me.

I figured it out. She was taking out the trash. At 2 am. For crap's sake. I live in a building where the apartment doors have this suction seal for security purposes etc. Everyone knows the doors slam if you don't make an attempt to shut it quietly. And anyway, how many trips does she need to make? The garbage chute is literally two steps away from her front door and I can't figure out what she's getting rid of that HAD to be done in the middle of the night (unless it was her boyfriend now-ex-boyfriend's stuff?!) There used to be a note in the room saying to not toss stuff down after 10:30pm but when I checked today, it was no longer there. If it's not one noisy neighbour, it's another.

As I realized it was fairly certain she hadn't seen me, I decided to leave a note for the culprit reminding her about courtesy to her neighbours; I stuck the note in her door when I came home after work. Let's hope she reads and understands English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home