Saturday, August 12, 2006

drifting along on summer's breeze

I've been starting to get used to my own company lately, waking up early to head down to the waterfront. The city has put on an event called "Quay to the City" which is to revitalize the waterfront, something that I am proud to say that Vancouver has done for years and that TO is only beginning to look into. They basically blocked off a part of the road normally open to cars and have made it pedestrian friendly. On top of that, there were celebrations of all sorts. The only thing I wanted to be sure to catch was the Kajama, one of the tall ships in the harbour. I had actually been considering sailing on her after I saw her last weekend during Caribana but this week they were offering tours of the harbourfront so I jumped at the chance. The clear morning air made the sail a beautiful one and the sun was not too hot yet so it was pretty much perfect.

What made it not so perfect were the other people on board. Every time I go to any event, and especially if I'm by myself, I always hate to be associated with other people of Asian descent. Regardless of whether I open my mouth or not, I am lumped in with them. They hurry on board to claim a seat, jabbering loudly with no regard to anyone else around them. I'm guilty just by association. Ok, so maybe other people have no clue whether I'm with them or not but I hate feeling so self-conscious. I want to wear a placard that reads, "I'm not with/like them!" But anyway. I wandered around the ship while shooting photos only to have someone call out my name! Turned out to be a friend's sister and her parents. So I wasn't alone after all.

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like you're very embarrassed for the whole Asian culture on a whole. I think you're more aware of "sterotypical" behaviour as you're Chinese yourself. What about Australians who never tip, Germans who are loud, rude and love their beer, Iranian (if they are female with buckets of $) who bleach their hair and wear too much makeup, English who are overall stodgy due to their diets, to the Italians who (if they are male) are overwight with hairy chests and a lot of shiny around their necks that would act as anchors if they were ever flung overboard?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home