Thursday, March 23, 2006

umoja: the spirit of togetherness

The show Umoja has been playing at the beautiful Elgin & Winter Garden Theatre since before Christmas. Meaning The Spirit of Togetherness, it is a show loosely covering African history and music. Having started small, it has become a huge success, touring the world. It toured to Vancouver at Christmas, which I had planned to see but did not make manage to make it. The show returned to Toronto and they were promoting the last few shows by heavily discounting the tickets so I scooped up a single seat (quite front and centre) and watched the troupe sing and dance for two hours. A Nelson Mandela look-alike did the narration between scenes. Overall, a fairly decent show although I could not understand how the person selling the ticket told me there were people who loved the show enough to be repeat customers! Obviously the calibre is not quite like that of a Broadway show but you do have to give credit for way the show sprang from just a thought. Worth going to? I wouldn't pay $80 for it but hey, at $25, it was completely justifiable. Ok, so I know it's not the most interesting post here but the show was not the most inspiring in my mind. But hey, at least I'm getting out! And on a weeknight, no less. And I thought I was getting a bit old for that...

1 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually UMOJA is very specifically about South African music and not African in general

 

Post a Comment

<< Home