Thursday, May 08, 2008

hair flop

When I visited New York City several years ago, I wanted to see as many musicals as was realistically possible. I wanted to see Movin' Out at my dance teacher's recommendation, which turned out to be a fantastic decision. I ended up seeing the show here again when it came through Toronto on tour. I also saw Rent, which was not such a good decision. They always play their catchiest tune to advertise the show; unfortunately, that also happened to be their best tune (in my opinion).

On a bus tour, I heard some other tourists discuss the show Hairspray, saying how great it was. I didn't have the time to squeeze that in, and I had missed it as it played in Toronto before I moved out here... so when I heard it was coming for a week, I decided to see it.

Ok, so the show itself was fun and silly. I expected that considering they turned it into a movie. Great catchy tunes. BUT, the experience would have been so much better if I hadn't left the show with my ears ringing (and I was sitting in the dress circle), and the lighting guy had actually known what he was doing. I was actually really disappointed that it felt more like a rehearsal. The main lead would be singing and the spotlights would be shining on the counterparts. How crazy is that? And speaking of disappointments... the lead (Tracy Turnblad) was played by the understudy, as was her parents. Seriously... I would have expected more considering that they were in town only for a week, and tonight was their opening night.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home