Wednesday, December 31, 2008

meltdown

No, I'm not having a meltdown, but am pretty much at the edge. The snow has kept us all house-bound for days on end. And I've shoveled my share of the rather long driveway enough times. My grandparents have been hostages in their home and I have yet to see them since I've come back.

The rains have come now after almost 45+cm of snow. (Hard to tell as it melts a bit and then we get another bit of snow.) If the weather here were colder year round, we'd be buried in snow all the time. That would probably mean better efficiencies at the airport so that people didn't have to miss their flights home for Christmas.

The good(?) thing about being house-bound is that I've been in lockdown mode in the basement. I call it the the torture chamber, but mom refers to it as the Garden of Plenty. Plenty of crap that is. I've finally detached enough to toss out my grad school stuff, along with a lot of other memorabilia. This includes letters that I wrote with friends when I was in school. Yeah, letters. Who writes those anymore? The weirdest coincidence was a friend who mentioned a couple of guys at her school, who I believe is the husband of one of my staff. Such a small world. I also tracked her down and we have since reconnected. Perhaps it's the fact that I won't be coming home for a whole year that has motivated me to just toss things like there is no tomorrow. And the fact that I really don't want to move all the crap with me when my parents finally decide to sell the place. Plus, all this tossing out of stuff is in a way liberating. It's my new year's resolution to live more simply. Happy new year to all. :)

1 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turfing stuff from the past can be extremely liberating. Welcome to the club!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home