Sunday, December 21, 2008

winning the snow lottery

I busted my second umbrella this week. In fact, I broke my second one just a block away from my apartment when the wind whipped up the snow and snapped the top off the bottom.

My newest staff member asked whether our office would close due to the snowstorm. Unfortunately not, I told her. We got an email advising us that we could leave early (but no earlier than 3:30 in the afternoon), and would have to make up the time the following week. Really??! When we have a foot of blowing snow due? How generous...

With most flights cancelled out of Toronto, and roads treacherous, I trekked home and packed, so grateful that I had booked this flight more than half a year ago on the right day. Another snowstorm is due on Sunday, both in Toronto and Vancouver. My sister also squeaked in on the same day. Though my flight was packed with screaming kids, I really lucked out. Both airports were not able to handle the overload of passengers and many had to spend days in the airport. I thank my lucky stars that I was not one of them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home