Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the rockies

Calgary was fine, but Banff was awesome. When I landed last weekend, it was sunny, with blue skies and yellow wheat fields with bales of hay. The drive up to Banff was a little iffy - the monstrous mountains were obscured by fog and light drizzle. I wandered the streets of Banff with my counterpart from Montreal, and we were there in time for the Santa Claus parade! By that time, it had begun to snow and I dragged the poor man through all the snowboarding and ski shops.

I was looking for a new pair of snowboard boots; my current pair is comfy, but as a result, I get blisters from wearing it a solid day since my toes are flapping around. This time, after hitting the last store, I asked the guy if they had any boots from previous seasons on sale. He pointed out 3 to me. Two were white (ick), and one was a sweet pair of black Burton's. The tag said there were a few sizes but when he checked, the one that was on display was the last pair. So... I crammed my foot in it. It was a tight fit. The big toes were rubbing but my other toes couldn't move. I was salivating over the boots, wondering if I could withstand the pain. The guy did tell me he could use a heat gun to mold it to my feet. So we went to have dinner (poor man was starving) and then returned afterwards. These boots are sweet, I tell you! They are the top of the line women's boots from a couple of seasons ago, with black and white houndstooth, and patent leather upper. The intention was to ride with them the next day.

I did not regret the purchase. I did regret the falls I took though. I had to rent a board (shorter than my usual) with new bindings, and being on a new mountain (Sunshine, which is ironic considering it snowed all day), and with the poor visibility took a few tumbles that stayed with me for the next several days.

And this is more for preserving my own memories than for you readers:

Meals
Sun night at River Cafe

Appetizer: FISH & GAME PLATTER
Native Candied Trout, Wild Boar Prosciutto, Salt Cured Bison
Pork & Game Terrine, Smoked Rainbow Trout
Grilled Apple & Turnip Relish, Red Onion Marmalade
Brassica Mustard, House Made Crackers. (Serves 2)

Main: ROASTED SABLEFISH
Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms, Burdock
Dungeness Crab, Miso

Dessert: WARM GINGERBREAD CAKE
Toasted Marshmallow, Maple Caramel
Lemon Gernium Ice Cream

And Monday night at Rouge:

Appetizer: Rabbit Confit Tortellini & Chanterelle Mousse

Main: Seared Mahi-Mahi, Deep Fried Lobster Risotto, Squash Coulis

Dessert: Yes, I had to pass cuz I was too stuffed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home